Saturday, 5 January 2008

Chapter One Asia

I didn't mention where I am doing my Industrial Attachment, so here is a peek at where I'll work and what I'll be doing for the rest of 14 weeks.

I'm currently doing my training under an image consultancy called Chapter One Asia AND also Trainers Asia. Chapter One
provide professional image services in areas of image management, communication, etiquette and protocol skills. We also provide soft skills training. It's not a big company. Quite small indeed. The company consists of Wendy(boss), Alan, Roger, Mat(office boy), Su Yi, Janis, Justin and I.

My boss's Wendy Lee, a leading Professional Image Consultant in Malaysia. Well, I'd say Wendy is really a very good employer in terms of training. She really expects a lot from us. Alan, the managing director claims that Wendy's motto is "We under-promise, but over-deliver". I can say that Wendy is quite pushy in getting what she wants, and so far, I don't really have a problem with that. At least, I feel I can learn a lot from Wendy.

In this company with me are three other interns. Justin (UTAR, PR), Janis (UTAR, Adv.) and also Su Yi (Taylors, Marketing). It's fun working alongside these people because they are a bunch of very friendly and co-operative colleagues. The first day of work was kind of not-so-good though. Practically, we just sat in the conference room for almost the whole day with Alan briefing us on what they'll want us to do, how Wendy is like, how to respect everyone in the company and every little thing we have to know about the company. Then we were given a set of detailing stories, which we're supposed to memorize and familiarize so that we can make phone calls in the correct way. According to Alan, we'll have to make around three hours of phone calls a day to train our communicational skills, as he knows that a lot of interns find it hard to talk to strangers on the phone.

Other than that, we'll be attending training programmes and talks held by Wendy and Melvin (he's a trainer in ChapOne). I think it's kind of worth while considering the fact that a person who attends their talk pays RM699 per pax for a two day talk while I get to attend it for free. We started making calls yesterday (Day two) and it was a bit scary at first, but as time passes by, we get used to it. I'm starting to feel good about this company, and i hope everything goes as it's planned. I don't mind getting screwed up by my Boss, as long as I get to learn, I think it's worth every single day of it.

If you're interested, do visit www.chap-one.com or www.trainers-asia.com

ps:Trainers Asia is a subsidiary company under Wendy to separate the Training Programmes and the Image Consultancy. So it's kinda confusing. Practically, we're working for both companies.

No comments: